Why optimizing your GMB is important
Keeping your Google My Business updated will give your business a greater chance that it will show up on Google Search and Google Map.
According to Google, your chances for ranking in a local search are determined by three major factors
🍎🍊 Relevance: How well your Google My Business profile matches the search.
📏 Distance: Simply how close your business is to the person searching for it.
✨ Prominence: How well-known your business is. This includes your SEO ranking, your review score, including backlinks.
What you can do to optimize GMB
Improving Relevance 🍎🍊
- Use important keywords in your business description, product listing, and other text fields available in GMB.
- Select the right business category. Again, it makes it easier for Google to classify you and show your business listing to people searching for you.
- Update your office hours, contact details, COVID special messages, and your product listings and its links so that they're accurate.
Improving Distance 📏 ranking
Make sure your office location and service location are up-to-date. You can find both of these fields in the Info tab in your Google My Business.
Improving Prominence ✨
- Create content on your blog, on Youtube, and on your social media channels that is unique and genuinely helpful for your target audience.
- Create a content outreach strategy. Reach out to authors of content that ranks in Google Search in complementary industries to ask for a backlink.
- Get a technical expert to improve your website structure, image sizes, page headings, meta tags and descriptions, slugs to improve page loading speed and optimize for search.
- Actively collect and encourage good reviews on your Google page. A higher number of positive reviews is directly related to better prominence.